Cm-900 as a tosser

hi all im a relative newbie to robotics and a newbie to this site, i love the concept and look forward to contributing and finding answers to my myriad of questions i have.
Anyway i have a bioloid but im unhappy with his limited functions and unnatural gait even with a gyro in him he falls easily and everytime he makes a wrong move he strips a gear on the dynamixel an expensive fix, this is run by a cm-530 but i got a cm-900 given to me for evaluation and i have been looking at later robots and see they use these boards as go betweens (tossers) so im really interested in obtaining a raspberry pi to control it, i will have heaps of questions on how this integrates, im also looking at buying a mini lidar for environment awareness does anyone have any experience in these fields to help me collate all this and get it working. thanks in advance

ive been reading a lot in the forum and i have obtained an odroid c+ with wi fi and im waiting for a 8gig mmc card, in all the places ive looked this link seems to be the most relevant http://softwaresouls.com/softwaresouls/2013/06/17/robotis-cm-900-in-toss-mode-and-querying-connected-sensors/, so im getting closer, its time to set up my 3D Printer and start printing watch this space for updates, any help with my setup is greatly appreciated, anyone who is going down the same road as me would be beneficial to both of us to share, im still not sure of what operating system to use, im leaning toward Darwin OP2 as i have all robotis programs and ive been familiarising myself with their programs for 2 years now.