Importing solidworks model to Vrep

We have modified the Poppy model by increasing its height and upgrading motors. We have successfully created the model in Solidworks. Now, we are trying to import the model to Vrep for simulation purpose as solidworks can’t be used for simulation purposes.
But we are unable to import the model to Vrep because number is triangles supported by vrep is 25000 whereas our model is using around 3 lacs. How can number of triangles be reduced from 3lac to 25000 in a model without disturbing the structure of the robot?
Decimation doesnt work.

Thank You.

@Pierre @Matthieu can you please connect this query to the concerned team :slight_smile:

The V-rep model is not automatic to produce. You have to build two models :
_ One for the calcul
_ One for the visualisation

And you also need a special urdf to import the 2 models (have a look at the poppy one).

The model for visualisation can be a bit complex, you just need a powerful computer but the model for calculation have to be very simple and more convex as possible.

Here a thread explaining how to do : [CFC] Reduce 3D meshes complexity of the URDF model

From what I remember I used the convex hull algorithm and sometimes I had to work by part for concave bodies.

1 Like