Introducing Poppy Seed

Dear Poppy lovers.

I am pleased to announce you that you can start having access to the Poppy Seed documentation - a low cost version of the Poppy Humanoid robot using Dynaxmiel XL-320.

The main repository for the time being is located in my github.

You will find a link to the Onshape model (that is public), a full set of STL for the parts, as well as the assembly manuals for most of the robot. I hope by the end of the week I will be able to finish all the remaining assembly and electronics documents.

Please note that the robot is in a very early alpha version and we might make significant changes, but I would encourage you to participate in this exiting development if you have the time.

7 Likes

Yeeeeeees, very good. It is the kind of message you feel like you were offered something :slight_smile:

I just advise you to add a photo in the readme.md.

Very nice work.

PS : Poppy Mega is on his way :wink:

1 Like

There will be a picture at the weekend when I will finish the assembly guides. At this moment the robot is pretty much in pieces as I have been taking pictures for the documentation. I have also reprinted most of the parts as I have made small adjustments that help with the assembly. But I plan to finish these guides by the week-end and the much desired picture will be there…:relaxed:

1 Like

Which type of printer do you use ?

It’s a cheap CTC FDM printer. I will post a document with the setup I have for 3D printing and some other tips.

1 Like

Is it the same project than Poppyrate?

Vincent, no. This is a accurate resize of the Poppy Humanoid at a scale of 0.7317 (30/41) and adaptation of the mounting holes for the servos. There are a few updates too: batteries in the feet with hot-swap, a complete Raspberry Pi with 3.5inch screen in the head.

In the assembly guide at the end there is a picture of the full assembled robot:

https://github.com/sonelu/poppy-seed/blob/master/docs/assembly/img/_DSF9183.JPG

The picture is taken with a wide angle from the head level and because of this the legs seem smaller than they are in reality. The proportions to the Poppy Humanoid are the same.

I’m still making adjustments and reductions in the weight (especially head) and I will have a picture of a more functional robot soon.

10 Likes

This is f***** awesome

3 Likes

Thanks, the printer is cheaper than micro-delta !!
I saw the modeling volume is 150150220mm.
The one of the micro delta is 120120290mm… I wish it will be ok.

Awsome ! And the amount of work dedicated to the document is really amazing as well
I am really eager to see the first video showing the little poppy moving

The use of the hot swap controller is smart, it avoid killing lipos if they are not perfectly at the same voltage. But how do you manage to track the voltage of each battery separated ?

We don’t need to. As long as they are in the robot they are connected in parallel, and the smart bypass diodes ensure that they never go out of balance. If that happens, the battery that has lower voltage simply will be cut off while the other one delivers power to the bus. Once the one with the higher voltage gets down they both start to provide power to the bus. So they act like a larger 2000mA batterry - as a matter of fact that is exactly how the higher capacity batteries are built: by placing in parallel multiple modules. But because they are always connected they never go out of sync and do not need a diode to balance.

With two batteries connected like in the case of this robot that can happen when you remove one battery and replace it - hence the need to use the smart bypass.

The other thing to be careful about is to make sure you always deal with the batteries in pair and that you keep them “tangled”. When you pull them from the robot charge them together using a parallel charger adapter. Then replace them in the same time.

I’ll document that in the github at one point in time.

3 Likes

Hey guys,
I just wonder if you know about nice addition to Poppy feet and new design made by Mr.Alexandre Le Falher which should make Poppy walking easier.
His work on GrabCad
https://grabcad.com/library/foot-humanoid-robot-1

Regards,
Daniel

1 Like

Hello all,
I found the poppy project not long ago and now I’m hooked, especially now that I’ve found the poppy seed a slightly smaller and less expensive to build without loosing quality parts.
There doesn’t appear to have been any updates in about a year.
Also I’m having a difficult time downloading the GitHub 3d files any advice thanks

Christopher,

That version is not very stable due to the fact that the XL-320 servos are not strong enough for the legs and torso to properly balance the robot. Very soon the servos are entering in overload mode and is quite hard to keep them cool. It is possible though to build a torso using only the upper part of the model - similar to the Poppy Humanoid Torso.

The 3D models are in the same place . Let me know what kind of issues you have accessing them.

That being said - I’ve been working for some time for a smaller Poppy that will certainly work - since it is based on the Robotis’ Darwin Mini robot. It is heavily customised to support a Linux based SoC (NanoPi Neo Air) with a custom controller board with 4 Dynamixel channels, IMU with 6 axis, power and a few other things. Also it has a camera and a small OLED display.

I hope in a few weeks I will be able to show some films. Just got this week the PCBs for the latest version of the controller and I was just working on soldering and testing it. I will put a post when things are ready for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you for the prompt response.
It is a shame that the version using the xl-320 servos turned out to be unstable. What are your thoughts on using some of the metal geared hobby servos that are rated for 20kg installed in a 3d printed diamixal casing. Also their some robotic servos available from hobby king that are comparable to to some of the diamixals

hey sonel,
possible to post the updated files ?? that would be helpful.
Thanks

Hi,

They are all in the GitHub here. But please be aware that this version of Poppy from XL-320 is too tall and unstable to be controlled.

Regards.