Poppy project at La cité des sciences et de l'industrie

A red poppy will be built on March the 22th and 23th, at La cité des sciences et de l’industrie in Paris.
25 contributors will be invited by la cité des sciences to build poppy, think about programing and using it and imaginate demonstration with poppy and other robots.
If you are interested you can join us, more details at : http://www.cite-sciences.fr/fr/carrefour-numerique/contenu/c/1239022827629/evenements/
or on twitter : @robotzone3

Come join us to celebrate poppy and friends during these two days !

3 Likes

So how the preparation of your workshop is going ? How many participant do you have ?

PS: I saw a lot of funny pictures you made with your red Poppy on your twitter account :smile:

workshop is coming very quickly!
21 participants are coming, it will be great!
Did you manage to make some drwing to help us building poppy body?

Great :slight_smile:

It is in progress, they will be posted under the documentation category.
By the way, if you already have questions you can start new topics now.

How many screw should we put to fix the foot?

Could you tell us what kind of spring you used on the legs? For the moment, we have not buy them, but it could be usefull, isn’t it?

And in the hand, what kind of screw did you use? Is there any file where i could find thoses information?

In the BOM list, there is the BIOLOID Bolt Nut Set BNS-10 with S1 and S2 screws suitable for both the hand and the foot.

For the spring, I will find you the reference but it is really specific for our research, I am not sure it will be useful foryou.

And S3 screws are to fix in whixh part?

You will need S screws for:

• mounting AX-12 motors
  • Attach the hands to the forearms
  • Attach the two part of the head together
  • Fix the feet on the Robotis FR07-H101

Ordering the bioloid bolt pack is more simple and some kind of screws set are not useful for building Poppy.
S3 can be use if you have not enough S2

Hi,
We are trying to control the MX-28 motors but when we are reading the port we have to specify the baudrate (57600) : “dxl_io = pypot.dynamixel.DxlIO(port,baudrate_MX_28)“
otherwise it’s impossible to get the id (scan method fails). Then we make the configuration file .json, but it cannot communicate with the motor :” DxlError: Could not find the motors (1,) on bus COM3.” We think it’s also because the baudrate is not specified but when we looked in the pypot doc we didn’t find a way to specify it in the configuration file… Could you help us?
PS: it works perfectly with AX-12A motors.

Thank you

OK so to answer I need more information

• Are you using Windows ?
  • Are you using USB2AX dongles ?
  • Are commands dxl_io = pypot.dynamixel.DxlIO(port,baudrate_MX_28) and dxl_io.scan() working ?

Could you indicate us which screw is where ? We have some difficulties attributing screw… :confused:

We are using Windows, we are using USB2Dynamixel (dongle usb-ttl) and both commands are working.

Wrench Bolt M23 --> For the fixing 3D parts to the MX-28 horn
Wrench Bolt M2.5
4 --> For the fixing 3D parts to the MX-64 horn (the hip_y motors)
Wrench Bolt M2.56 --> For attaching MX motors to 3D parts
Wrench Bolt M2.5
8 --> For attaching horn to MX-28
Wrench Bolt M3*8 --> For attaching horn to MX-64

To attach a motor to a 3D printed part, you have to put M2.5 nuts the motor:

Ok so you should download the Dynamixel Wizard, I updated the topic for the Dynamixel configuration with information needed:

When you have installed the RoboPlus software, look for the Dynamixel Wizard. Take each motor one by one and give them an unique ID and set the baudrate to 1Mbaud as explained here:

Thank you, You are downloading the software, 1 hour left :).
We will try tomorrow. By the way could you give us your configuration file for the whole robot.

Ok so here is an alternative using only pypot to set baudrate to 1Mbaud:

import pypot.dynamixel

COMPORT = 'PORT'
dxl_io = pypot.dynamixel.DxlIO(COMPORT, baudrate=57142.9)
ids = dxl_io.scan()
new_baud = dict(zip(ids, [1000000]*len(ids)))
dxl_io.change_baudrate(new_baud)
dxl_io.close()
dxl_io = pypot.dynamixel.DxlIO(COMPORT, baudrate=1000000)
print dxl_io.scan()

The configuration file for the whole robot can be found on the poppy-software repository.
First you need to install it. The best option would be to clone the repository but it is fine if you just download the last version.

Once you have the poppy-software folder, move it where you want and then install it.
Open a console:

cd path/to/poppy-software
python setup.py develop

Then have just to run the poppy_config_generator.py script after replacing your COM port:

poppy_config['controllers']['lower_body_controller']['port'] = "COM8"
poppy_config['controllers']['upper_body_controller']['port'] = "COM7"

cd path/to/poppy-software
cd poppytools/configuration
python poppy_config_generator.py

It will generate a .json file with the configuration of the whole robot. After that you will able to use it as follow:

import pypot.robot
from poppytools.configuration.config import poppy_config

poppy = pypot.robot.from_config(poppy_config)

Jour 1 :
We had some difficulties in assembling motors horn, and assigning screws, but we succeded in building arms, legs, feet and head…

Ok so I just put the instruction for the trunk and I am taking picture to explain how to wire the robot.