Poppy Web Application

Hi,

We are planning to start developing a web application for Poppy. The web App aims to configure and control Poppy.

Who wants to join the team ?

The spec document is below

4 Likes

Dear Nizar,
This is intereesting ! can you gieve us more about your plan, what would like to reach?
cheers!

Hi @Nizar_Ellouze , this is a very cool initiative. Probably you will want to reuse the REST API being developed for PyPot by @Pierre ?
What are your targeted contexts of use for this web application?

Please look at the initial architecture and post your feedback

We will use the web app mainly to configure poppy. I don’t know about Rest API, where I can found it ?

for those who know poppy, is it possible to host web server on poppy ?

Yep it is possible, we already did it to control Poppy wireless.
Maybe @Steve or @Pierre can give you more detail on the way to actually do it.

For the REST API you have some documentation here: http://poppy-project.github.io/pypot/remote_access.html

Good, I saw the Rest api, where we can find the git repo of the rest api?
Could you tell me about the hardware configuration of poppy (cpu, ram ), I’m asking to see if poppy can host a web server and be performant

Here you have the pypot REST API:

For the hardware configuration, we use currently an Odroid U3:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=g138745696275

You can order one here for 70€ : http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/NTM3OTgxOTk-/Bausaetze_Module/Entwicklerboards/ODROID_U3_Einplatinen_Computer_Cortex_A9_QuadCore_2_GB.html

I’m currently writing a new version of the REST API to make it more exhaustive and more robust. It has not yet been merged into the master branch but you can already have a look at it here.

The details of the new REST APIs can be found here.

This is very helpfull, Merci Matthieu.
I see that’s odroid isvery powerfull, it can host a webserver easilly

@Pierre do you agree with enlarging your Rest Api with maximum of services? if yes then I suggest that you let us work with you on the rest Api. Once we have all the rest services implemented then we can implement any kind of client side app

1 Like

Well yes :slight_smile: What do you have in mind as examples of additional services?

Of course! This is an open-source project. So please, fork it and send pull-requests!

1 Like

As far as you know, the available services are for controlling poppy, I was thinking about adding more service to configure Poppy, and may be the team has others suggestions for missing services.
If you think that you have all services done then we can start working on the client side UI

Yes that’s the very good point!

I will also add to the list the ability to configure dynamixel motors directly (doing something equivalent to what the Dynamixel Wizard is doing).

Any other idea?

No for the moment, what about sharing a specification document on Google drive so that any body can put his idea and thoughts

Sure sounds good to me!

Good to share a specification document, but why not use this forum with a specific topic and have the first post in Wiki mode (anyone registered can modify it, there is version control)?

1 Like

Hi

Sorry for the delay, I think gooogle doc is better because it has more options, the doc is below :

Indeed but if you multiply resources you will divide contributions.
I would advise to start a new topic dedicated to the specification of the rest API but you are free to do whatever you want.