Printing Poppy with replicator 2

Continuing the discussion from Is it possible to print Poppy on a low-cost 3D printer?:

I am printing Poppy with a replicator 2. I show you the result of the different parts. For the moment, I have just printed the head and the left leg.

#The head

The printing time was 12 hours and 143 gram of matérial.

The left leg:

The printing time was 15 hours and 153 gram of matérial.

Hi, we tried to print the foot with a mendelmax (should be the same than replicator) and the STL file seem to be corrupted or something. Even if we managed to rebuild the stl or repair it, we get print like that :

Have you experienced similar problems ? Resolved them ?

It is very stange. It is possible to try with this STL file? STL_File
What are the options of your mendelmax? (material, support, raft, layer height…)

I dunno about the options we used @sancho may know (it’s his printer)

We tried different stl files in the repository and tried also to export an stl from solidworks

I think it’s due to the pattern of the print head among the curbature of the foot. At each layer, the head is coming from the exterior line (printing) then jump over the curbature and print the next line going on the interior lines. It’s working correctly for the first lines and layers. But as your foot grow, the head doesn’t just jump but try to print very small portions like a dash pattern. I believe some plastic wire are therefore leaking during those “dash” printing which screw everything.

It may be a problem of printer but we tried to print other small and fine pieces with success. We can say this printer is very good and precise for an amateur printer. (this may also be a plastic problem. It’s just common PLA and not PLA/PHA we used for test)

Anyway, we can still use this foot and manually polish the curbature but it’s far from being a nice print.

Hi

At this time I am making a test with the STL @Alexandre posting before ,so I will tell you later the result …
The problem is just with the poppy STL … that’s not fair !
I am so disappointed with this …

Hello Arnaudweb/Sancho

What software are you running with your mendelmax? I use SFACT with Pronterface on a Prusa Mendel for example, What combination are you using?
I have discovered through building three RepRap’s over the last few years that software is king, Try changing your slicer component as a test (slic3r/SFACT/Skeinforge or whatever the latest derivative is), You might get different (better?) results with a different slicer, try several different slicers you can set them all up in parallel on the same driving PC.
I would also always recommend using the latest firmware and software you can for your mendelmax (don’t fall into the “it works don’t touch it” trap), I found that a software/firmware upgrade can make a massive difference to general quality as well as fixing spurious slicing bugs such as this (might be).

Make sure you backup everything (software/firmware) before upgrading (you don’t want to break your printer).

Good luck and cant wait to see the foot printed correctly :smile:

Not to barge into an existing thread, but I just stumbled across the Poppy project and started browsing the forums. I’m pretty active with hobby-grade 3D printing so I thought I’d chime in.

I’ve had really good success using Simplify3D as a printing package. It’s not free like Pronterface/Repetier Host with Slic3r or skeinforge, but the improvements in speed, slicing, support generation, and output quality were very worthwhile (for me).

Is the foot the most challenging part you’ve encountered so far? If so, I could give it a try on my setup. I have a Flashforge Creator Pro (a Replicator derivative) which has similar parameters to your Makerbot. Perhaps seeing if I get better results with an alternative software package would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi,

It is very interesting software the Simplify3D, Maybe, I will test it for my next printing part.

The most challenging part is maybe thigh or chest, because there are need many support. But all of the Poppy parts are not optimized for 3d Printing with personal printer

1 Like